Wednesday, July 22, 2009

DIY Handloom

Today, I did a housecall for a client, and then had the rest of the afternoon to
myself (more or less).

I dropped by Home Depot on my way home to see how much 1x2 oak would be for a handloom. To my surprise, they sold 24-inch sections of 1x2. I bought the last piece of red oak, for $1.66. I then bought a small box of finishing nails for $1.24... after tax and candy, the materials for a handloom were $4.20



I braved the table loom, and glued and clamped the pieces. Tomorrow I will decide on further fastening techniques (dowels or screws) and figure out the pattern for the pins (nails).


... a few minutes later: I just realized I'm going to need more finishing nails... so add $1.34 to that total...

This still brings the total to $5.54 plus my time and effort. However, this is worth the difference ($33.84) from the Four-Inch Multi Loom by Hazel Rose for $31.50, plus $7.88 S&H.

I would like to point out that Hazel Rose assembles, sands and finishes the product - so I'm not saying it's not worth it, just that I can't afford it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment